10.02.2008

Those Unforgettable First Few Steps

H started taking a few steps about two weeks ago. I did not want to announce that he was walking, because two steps is not really the definition of "walking." He has moved on from two or three steps, then three and four, and now four and five. He is so funny how out of balance he looks. He uses his toes to grab into the carpet and hold his balance...and he does this hilarious arm swing to compensate. We get so excited, and he just looks up at us like "What's the big deal with you crazys?"

Finally, he has stopped getting hurt...for the most part. Now he only gets really hurt, really bad. I'm not sure if that is better or worse. I still think every pain is the worst for him...who really ever wants their child to feel real pain? Not me!

He has moved on in to his 12 month clothes this past week. Yes, my eight and a half month old is a tall one. He still has no rolls on his body, despite what pictures might look like. His face only looks chubby when he smiles, just like his mother. But, his clothes are just adorable. At the 12 month stage apparently now you can find real clothes, NOT EVERYTHING IS A ONESIE anymore..thank goodness. I hate those things. Who really wants to change a diaper and have to go through three garments to get the job done??? Who has time for that mess?

H has been clapping for a month or so. His clapping consists of him slapping whatever is next to him and making a noise. He gets really excited and stomps his feet, too. BUT, today he actually got both hands together and clapped like a big boy. Yay H! He loves to snuggle, and at different times in his day will just come over and lay his head on our shoulders. As he tires in the daytime, he lays down on his tummy in the floor and just looks around, so funny! When we pick him up, almost everytime, he gives us a sweet hug, and we love it. We have to show each other, too. It's like we are so proud that our little guy loves us! Too funny!

At first I thought H was way behind for his vocal ability. Then i realized that he is just way ahead for EVERYTHING! So, this past week we have been very excited to hear him making lots more noise! We call him Kinsey when he screeches loudly! He does know his name now, and knows what "No" sounds like for sure. He sometimes listens, and moves away...and others he just laughs and keeps on doing whatever it is that is needing the term used. He started climbing up onto the couch and loves to be on the cushions. It scares me that he will jump off, so I have to stay right under him every second...not so easy with a baby belly :)

He loves his bathtime, and runs into the bathroom when he hears the water running in his tub. We recently got him a skid-proof mat for the basin. Before he would slip and slide everywhere on that little booty! He has an elmo faucet cover and he tries so hard to stand up and touch everything, which is a No-No at our house. He has to sit down the entire bathtime or he has to get out. He still does not have the best balance to be standing up in the water. But, he loves the time in the water and to splash his feet! He will play for about twenty minutes while I watch. Bathtime means his day is at an end, so it is ALMOST time for me to take a break! After I cook dinner, do laundry and my bathtime, of course! Where do the days go?

We have our first big family trip next week, and I have no idea how I am going to pack it all. I use everything on the list I made EVERYDAY...so I guess Friday night before we leave Saturday morning I will be throwing it all in a bag, somehow neatly.
Russ has eleven days off for this trip, lucky him! Our friend Gina has volunteered herself to take care of the Toby man, so that is good that he does not have to be boarded. They will be going to Conneticutt for a one day trip...so he will be going on a mini-vaca as well. I wish he could come with us...he is like our other child!

Wish I had some new pictures, but our camera is acting nutty right now...just before our first family trip! Woohoo! Hopefully we can figure it out before we leave :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to hear the updates on our grandboy! He is really growing up fast. Love you all, Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to being with you in Florida. Don't worry about stuff there is a Walmart near. Our truck
is already full. Sounds like you won't need the walker so the highchair and bed are ready for Harrison. It will be good for you to relax. Maybe a movie and some walks on the beach just you and Russell. Granny will be careful. Aunts ZZ, Di and the other H have been making plans. Some surprises.
Keep it simple. Love Donna and Steve

Our Life Version 6.0 said...

Congrats on those first steps!!!