9.25.2008

Whitey

So, it is always funny to hear the stories Russ brings home from each job. Thank the good Lord ER visitors don't really show just what kind of people we live around, but it is a pretty good way to see how they feel about race. Yep, I said it, race. It never fails, at every job, at some point in time, my husband is called something because he is white. My personal favorite, "cowboy." And, it really is hilarious to me that it is ok.

I will put myself out there and say that I have friends of all colors and races and that is just fine with me. We move around to all parts of the country and meet many types of people. I thought that racial critism was really something we only dealt with in the South, but that is a misconstrued notion. LA is actually voted the most racist city in our country. Beside the point, yesterday it happened. A lady, who was probably in some sort of distress, I'm sure...called Russ a whitey. She just came right out and said, "Look Whitey." Too funny. Well, only because my husband laughs at these things and I of course, get pissed. If he would have walked in her room and said, "Yo Brownie" he would have lost his job. We all know, well, I will say I KNOW this is how the lovely world of race works :) What is sad is that just because we have Southern accents, people of other races have always jugded me and Russ as being white supremacist, and we are SO not that way at all. So, it is funny that we are always chosen as the ones to be the 'racist' right off the bat.

My friends in LA asked me many questions during the Jena 6 time last Fall because they knew we were from Louisiana. They actually were really honest with us and told us they had heard we all had shot guns at our front doors and nooses hanging in our trees. I was so unaware of how wrong our country is about what Southerners believe. They actually don't get the meaning of the Confederate flag at all. It is so not a racist flag we wave in our yards to warn away the people that are not white. I could not believe how people thought of me and my family. It was really hard to change their minds, too.


You know, I just don't get it. And, I have seriously tried for years to understand it, but the truth is it will never be any different, ever. Well, in Heaven but that is it!

Russ has met many people here and some of them say they are strict Liberal Democrats but would never vote for Obama because he is African American. I think that is so dumb. Democrat or Republican, why would you ever vote for something you don't believe in? Is that really what our forefathers expected when they gave us the rights to vote and have a Democracy? I don't think so. I am obviously a Conservative, but I would have voted for Colin Powell if he ran for President, and guess what? He is African American, who knew?

I was watching Ellen the other day and she had LL Cool J as one of her guest stars for the day. Ok, all of my frieneds in college know that I used to love his songs for dancing purposes ONLY, but I can honestly say I was excited to see him on the show and see what he was doing these days. The man made himself look like a dang fool. He gets on the show and starts talking about politics and how it wouldn't matter what John McCain said, He is black, so he is voting for Obama, no questions asked. OK, really? Is that what we are teaching our kids these days? I was so upset I couldn't even believe it. I had to TIVO rewind it to see Ellen's face again. She was like, "What the Hell was that crap????" and, of course changed the subject after a short silent pause. Poor Ellen. I'm sure she is a liberal, but even she was at a loss...yes, Ellen at a loss for words!

Easy for it to be said: I will never be a supporter of his gansta tunes again. And, I'm sure he is upset.

Me and my Whitey will be supporting our candidate because his beliefs and judgements are in the same as what we believe, not because we were born with the same tone in our flesh. Unbelievable.

I honestly hope that people will realize how much our country needs a good leader right now, and vote according to what they feel is at highest importance.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whitey?? Do people actually say that?

What she meant to say is "This must be my lucky day to have such a great nurse taking care of me."

Love ya,

MOM

Anonymous said...

Te he he

I was baptized in Selma Alabama !

Ditto, to all you said sweetee.

Being from a military family, is

quite educational, & quite hard.

I've tried to use every piece, of

my growing-up, to make me better,

& not bitter.

I love you & your fabulous

attitude !

Aunt Helen