Russ was off of work today, so we all loaded up in the 4 wheel drive to go apple picking. Apparently, this is a big deal in this part of the country. Everyone we meet tells us to go, but we have yet found time...imagine that.
It was only about 55 degrees and 45 when the wind blew, which was almost everytime you forgot about it. Thankfully now that I am always wondering about H, I don't even think about how cold I really am. He got to wear so many layers today...a polo, a sweater, and a fur lined coat. It really felt like we live in the artic, and it is the first week of October. I have got a real suprise coming in a few weeks, i'm sure of it. Gina told me last week that we must must must get family North Face jackets to survive. We all know how much I just love freezing to death :) Woohoo!
Back to apples...we drove to a beautiful town called Natick, 14 miles. Russ was sure he saw John Kerry on his bike, hmmm? It was like a movie, so perfect. The neighborhood was set in these gorgeous pines trees and you could actually smell the wood as you drove down the streets. The houses were bigger than anything I had seen in L.A., well except the ones that look like hotels. It reminded me of Home Alone, the movie. Russ wants to live there. I told him we could maybe afford the basement of the back barn. So we drove on...to the orchard. Lookout Farms is where the day took place. The have an adorable train that takes you to all of the stops of the orchard. Apples, peaches, plums, pears, pumpkins, grapes, and of course more apples. This place was unreal! As we got ready to board the train H was just sqealing when the wind blew on his face. His little nose was pink in just seconds, but he absolutely loved it!
Here are the rules: you can eat any of the fruit to taste what you want to purchase. It is all organic so you can eat it right off the tree. We arrived at our first stop, the apples and Asian pears. So yummy, oh so yummy. The pears were huge!! And, the apples were so crisp and fresh, like nothing you have ever tasted before. We got one of each, and two or more if we really liked it. I know there is no way we will eat all of this fruit before it goes bad, but it was the experience of picking it that was so neat.
H was watching us try the fruit and he was really looking left out. So, we let him try some. He did really well! He actually bit into the apples and sucked off the juices! We gave him some of all kinds and he liked some, and not others, but I was so proud of him for trying it all. So, we went on the next stop...the peaches and more apples. Oh how delightful were those peaches!! H was not so sure, but he did try it. There was a large children's play area at this stop...where most people were. There were many daycares and families having picnics all around. There was also a lovely smelling petting zoo. Gotta love the pregnant nose. We did see a reindeer, which was pretty cool. No, we did not pet anything stinky.
Finally, the last stop. We were the only ones that got off here, and of course they pointed that out :) We finished up with my favorite, Macintosh Apples...THE BEST EVER!!! These apples are so fruity and not too griddy, like a pear....the perfect apple (that is what I told Russ, and he laughed at me). They are my new favorite thing right now. Yumm! H loved that kind too!
We got back to the gift shop and took some Mommy & son pictures by the pumpkins. I also grabbed some homemade apple cider I can't wait to taste tonight.
So, when we got back to the house, the bag of apples and pears and peaches were on the couch. Little H man found them and decided to try him one. We videoed it, and are STILL trying to get it on here. He had fresh pears and apples when he ate his dinner, and loved that! Here are the pictures of our wonderful family day we thoroughly enjoyed!



2 comments:
What a wonderful family day! I am so glad you got to experience this place. The pictures are great! I hate to say it, but I think Boston agrees with you. Miss you every day. MOM & DAD
Oh Paige, I just love these shots!
What a beautiful area.
I love you,
Aunt Helen
Post a Comment