8.06.2008

Go Green Diapers

Granola, Crunchy, frunchy. What do these words mean??? Apparently when you recycle, have reusable grocery bags, use a front carrier for baby, have cloth diapers, make your own baby food, or anything else Earth conscious...this is what you are called. I have learned these terms from my sister and my cousin Laura. We all fit into this category, I assume. And, I am proud to say that we are all making a conscious effort to be Green.

I never even thought about many of these things until I had a child, or lived in Los Angeles. I do have a conservative political background, but now I can see what the Democrats mean when they talk about such liberal views in respect of global warming and recycling, and so on. Let me be clear, my stance on LIFE will not ever be shaken, in any case, but I do agree that things need to change here for the greater good...for our children and a greater America. I love politics, and I would have loved to have been some type of Washington big deal, but of course that is a dream too far away for many to reach. I am just glad that when I left the South, I actually grew as a person, and as a parent I can see the other side of different views. This is something I never would have seen if I had not lived in a large city. I love the South for it's moral value and such, but I feel that there are limits to open-mindedness and any sort of change there.

I realize I will not have any comments to this post, but I'm just proud of me and my sister, and cousin because of the changes we have all made in our lives to better our families. It really is important to understnad our changing economy...and to actually participate in making a difference. I'm pretty sure you can still leave a comment under the "Anonymous" name is you really want to respond! Ha! :)


This is the biggest mess we have had yet! He actually got prunes on his forehead! I laughed so hard, we had to post this! Enjoy!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

People thought I was nuts in the 80's with cloth diapers, breast feeding, homemade baby food and the like. I am very proud that my girls think these special efforts are important enough for my grandbabies! I don't think I ever knew what they called me.....

Love, MOM (oops!)

Paige said...

Good job for making an effort. I think that is all we can do. But with that said we will see how green you want to go with 2 kiddos in diapers. Those disposable ones might start to look a little bit more desirable!

The Fortenberrys said...

Yay for green! Baby Harrison looks darling in his bumGenius diaper. Love ya, Lyssa

Anonymous said...

Yes !!!! Your attitude rocks !!!

Love, Aunt Helen & Unc Rick

Anonymous said...

Hi Paige--I'm Alyssa's friend from the military scene. Being a Northern Liberal, I have enjoyed getting to know you Southern Belle types! Regardless of our backgrounds, we share the common bond of wanting the very best for all of our children. Enjoy your time in the North getting to know the people whom you must have thought were so foreign to you--you may find that some of us actually have strong morals and values too! I never thought I would have a Southern Belle for a friend, but I wouldn't trade Alyssa for the world!

P.S. I love the pictures of Harrison. He's beautiful and I definitely see the family resemblance with Kinsey!

Paige and Russ Atkins said...

Paige-
Ha! I know, I know! But, we have been using disposables for a long time, so I know both worlds. The cloth dipes were invested in are BumGenius one size so I will only have to carry one dipe for both newborn and a toddler, so I think it will be easier than buying and carrying both. WE shall see!

Erin-Ha! I never thought I would have so much in common with Californians either, and thankfully that experience has made me a much more open-minded person. And, I love each of then even if we all disagree about some topics.

I have not met anyone in Boston yet, so I do not have much to say about the northern folk yet! We will see.

Our Life Version 6.0 said...

Congrats on being frunchy! :-) Harrison is so cute in his BG diaper!
Thanks for your nice words in your post too!
I love the pics of Harrison with the prunes. I introduced Audrey to those this week and the look on her face was priceless! Prunes are sooo messy and I don't think her bibs will ever be the same. :-)

Kallie said...

Yay for BumGenius Dipes!!!! Hey there, this is Kallie, Alyssa's friend. I'm loving my BG's too and being granola! Although last night when I was cleaning a very poopy diaper at midnight...the love for my cloth diapers wasn't exactly there!

Harrison is a super cutie pie!