8.21.2008

Paige vs. Democrats

This election has really pulled me in different ways. You know, like I said before, I absolutely love politics and I have a pretty conservative background of views on life and country. But, I am also really open-minded to see the good in a change that even I might not have come up with (shocker!).

I am not easily torn from what I hold dear to me, but I am really trying to grow as a citizen this election. I REALLY want to know what is going on. I am not just going to vote for someone because he is the new Nike, or the Republican choice. I want you to convince me, with facts, that you will change a broken America. I really want to know what the plan is, and what needs to be changed. To say "I am going to change this and that" is different than me finding out the truth in what these men have really voted for in past decisions. And, boy have I been shocked. I am not going to get into who or what was said or done, but I am just excited to share something I have recently learned.

I'm not sure if you know this, but John McCain's grandfather and father have all been highly ranked, prestigious military officials in our government. And, with that comes an enormous amount of pride, as well as pressure for him, I am sure. I have recently started to read his family memoir Faith of my Fathers. I was sitting at home last week, and on MSNnews there was a church in L.A. that had an open debate for both candidates. They did not sit together, but were asked questions alone. After watching that, totally open-minded and practically begging for someone to pull my mind in a certain way, I was left with a real pride in John McCain. This lead me to buy his book. This book was written a while back, way before he ever thought of running for President of the United States. And my favorite line so far is this one:

Glory is not an end in itself, but rather a reward for valor and faith. And the greatest freedom and human fulfillment comes from engaging in a noble enterprise larger than oneself.

Hello, how awesome is that? He really wasn't the person I thought I wanted to win the Republican nominee, and I am not saying that this one quote about winning a fight is why I changed my mind, but his entire life has been about this country, for generations past. And, I honestly can say that I have a nervous stomach about electing a man into the White House that has never served for our country.

Another point that McCain made was when he was a prisoner of war....on Christmas the guards were to let the prisoners outside for one minute to experience the worship of that day, and his guard, one that had beaten him time and time again, drew a cross in the sand and they both stared at it. Together. He said that day he realized for one moment they were just two Christians standing there together, worshiping.

His has undeniably lived for our country and fought hard to defend it. I know he has not always made the best choice the first time around, and that is one thing I do not overlook. BUT, the way his face changes when asked a question that hits a soft place, and the way he geniunly answers a question....It's real. I think he really does want the best for America. But that is just me.

I still have to finish his books and do more research on Barack, but for now, I am in a happy place knowing that there is one candidate that understands this war, and knows what it feels like to have a soldier not come home with him.

I encourage you to get the book. It is totally not a political swaying book. It is all a factual family memoir. And it's great.

This time around I was really going to watch every primary, and every state speech. I was and am determined to pick the best man for this job. I did not know these things about McCain, and I am glad that I now have something in common with him.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The California pastor who hosted the event last weekend was Rick Warren who wrote The Purpose Driven Life. You can still watch it online at CNN.com.

Thanks for the insight on this issue, more young (and young at heart) citizens need to take this election more seriously.

Love ya, MOM

Paige and Russ Atkins said...

I know! It is Saddleback Church. We tried to go a few times but the traffic getting throught hte city was atrocious! Anyway, it was awesome for me.

Anonymous said...

Since Steve served in Viet Nam we do understand what and how you must have felt this revelation. I think I may be ready for my decision......but waiting for VP choices. Don't forget to vote absentee. I will check on this.
Love the blog and photos.
Glad I kept the girl sailor suit......Is is really cute. Miss you and call in your spare time!!!!!